Sunday 23 June 2013

Bangkok 5- Christel

On the Thursday Mint had to work so I spent the day with Christel, my lovely Firstie who was in my house and half Thai, half French.

We started by going and having tea at the Erawan Tea room. I'm not quite sure why it is So popular, but the tea was nice and company was better.

From there we went to Jim Thompsons House. He was basically an American guy that helped revive the Thai Silk Trade. Though the tour guide didn't really explain the whole process of  how to actually make silk etc. which I had hoped she would. The house was gorgeous. Traditional. Dark woods.

http://www.jimthompsonhouse.com/

Since we were by a river, we decided to take a ferry of sorts to our next location which was the Siam Museum. I knew I was going to learn about Thai culture in the museum. But it's probably the first time I've been so oblivious to even the name of the museum. A low point when I realized that Siam actually is Thailand. Siamese Cats. Siamese Twins. All Thai first.

I love museums, they are always so well put together. This one began with a video of ancient Thailand compared to present. The video related everyone back to their past life and what their role would have been. Then walking through the museum we watched a more in depth video of the witch doctor, the elephant warrior, the tradesman. I loved the way it ended, a room full of televisions in a confusing way to to describe, of all different events and finishing with TVs with local news. From the past to the present.

Christel and I then went to lunch in Siam Mall where I really was craving pizza. No noodles, for just one meal, please. After I we three went to watch the new Superman movie. The movie was good (I enjoy most movies to be honest). The theatre was wonderful. It was cool because it was the first night it was out, but because we were 12 hours ahead of the US, we were seeing it far before that audience.

But the best bit was right before the movie came on and we had to stand up for the Kings song and watch a clip of all the wondrous things that he has done for the country. I really wanted to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment