Thursday 6 June 2013

Budapeszt 3

Yesterday Balint and I went to the Great Synagogue. I've never actually been in a Synagogue... Well I still haven't. But it was quite a pretty building I suppose. I managed to send some post cards which always makes me feel accomplished, like doing laundry. 

We then met up with my First Year from Adriatic, called Cindy, who is also on scholarship from the Hungarian National Committee. I told her of all the things I've done/seen and she said quite simply 'Well you've done all the touristy things'. Duh... Anyways, since we were in the Jewish District she took us to what is called a Ruined Pub. SO COOL. 

I wish I had gone at night time because I'm sure it would be a lot more interesting. But basically they're outdoor pubs that everything is is reused. I'm talking cars being shelled out and made into benches, with skis as the floor. To bird cages hanging from the ceiling next to gnomes on swings. 

From there we went to lunch where I finally tried something traditional - borsó főzelék - essentially a creamy soup with peas. Pretty good nonetheless. 


After lunch we went to one of the coolest places I have been in Europe, which is going to sound so meagre when I tell you it's a tea room. Basically you go in a take off your shoes and there are dozens of little alcoves/cocoons with pillows and incense and so chill. You choose from at least 40 teas and ring a bell to order. Above us in like a tree house were a bunch of Australian Uni students. I would come back to Budapest just for the tea rooms, I'm quite sure.  It really is the simple things my friends...

We then went to a Beer Garden that again would be really cool at night, and again has been undisturbed in furniture since the 1970s. Low Maintenance at least. Comparing UWCs and hilarious stories I tried my second type of Hungarian alcohol. It was a shot of cranberry-honey Palinka. Much better than the day befores Unicum anyways. 

Basically another great day. Adriano had Waterpolo training (national sport in Hungary) so I spent the evening with his younger sisters and Step-Mum. 



No comments:

Post a Comment