Saturday 15 June 2013

Bangkok 1 JJ Market

Dreading how much I want to write for the amazing 6 days I spent in Bangkok. Wow.
However I'm in Bali right now, and simply don't have the time. And my German friends keyboard is very confusing. The y's and z's are in the wrong place - for  a touch typist it gets frustrating.

So, Aunty Kathy, it will all come. Later. xxo

Okay. Here goes the start.
It always takes longer when I leave these things to later as I can't remember the names of anything.

The first day I was Saturday afternoon. The flight was easy, there was a spare seat next to me so I managed to get about 6 hours of sleep.. so lucky.
Mint's family driver took us the 40 minute drive to her apartment. The ride, the first time actually speaking to Mint, went by incredibly fast - a sign that the week was going to go well as it was so easy to chat to Mint.

Where she lives is very central which is lucky. It's a small place but very clean with nice furniture so it didn't feel overwhelming.

I already did a blog entry of that evening about Khao San Road.

The next morning Mint had a German test and I settled into the apartment. She brought me back Bubble tea. Interesting.
http://www.arborteas.com/pages/a-quick-recipe-for-thai-boba-tea.html

We went to JJ Market that afternoon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chatuchak_Weekend_Market

We walked for 5 hours around the stalls and Mint claims we didn't even cover a quarter of the area. Mz motto was that if the store had AC, the prices would be higher. I still found a bunch of really cute tops. Sadly, everything was One Size Fits All so I won't be comfortable in a few of the things until I get back into shape. If not... well I have many tiny friends and cousins. Darn Asian bodies.

The funniest part was when, being me, I didn't see a ditch and slipped my left left right down the side. This hurt quite a bit, but I was able to ignore it. Annoyingly two small cuts were bleeding quite profusely and sweet Mint insisted we go to the First Aid station to get it cleaned. The lady didn't speak any English so I let Mint explain the situation. Apparently most people go to the Air Conditioned room because they faint in the heat. I can see how. Anyways while the lady cleaned my leg with iodine solution I was quite the spectacle - at least 10 people were around the area enjoying the scene. It was a bit strange to me.
The lady was talking and Mint's eyes were growing bigger and bigger and I imagined it was a pretty cool story being told until Mint asked ''Do you have health insurance?''
Apparently the lady was going on about how I had to go and get 3 tetanus shots successively at the hospital and Mint was freaking out. I assured her that I had my shots awhile ago and that anyways - I hadn't actually touched any metal in my little slip. It was all quite amusing to me.

That evening we went back to Mint's, she had a conference call to make for the internship she was currently doing and I relaxed.


No comments:

Post a Comment